Spring 2022 Communications Internship
Application Due: Monday, January 3, 2022
Length of Internship: January 7 - May 31, 2022
Must be available for 2022 Auction, which is Saturday, April 9th at 7:00PM PST
Working under the supervision of the Marketing and Communications Coordinator, the communications intern helps manage Southern Exposure’s social media channels, assists with social media campaigns, and recruits followers. The intern curates compelling content, including that from friends and allies, about issues affecting artists and art spaces to highlight via Southern Exposure’s social media networks. The intern also performs monthly data analysis of web, email, and social media reach, and provides project-based support such as researching press contacts, promoting events, communicating with partners, gathering and processing images, maintaining projects and events on the website, and archiving PR materials. This position is ideal for someone interested in digital engagement, audience development, data gathering and analysis. Interns will have the opportunity to execute an internship project that directly engages with the artists and curators of their choice. In addition to receiving a modest stipend, there is ample opportunity to learn about the ins and outs of a contemporary arts organization.
Skills needed: Ability to write clearly and engagingly for different contexts, adjusting tone as appropriate. Familiarity with social media platforms, Google Drive, Microsoft Office, Canva, and the Adobe Creative Suite. Basic html knowledge is a plus.
The principles of Southern Exposure’s internship program are to:
- Provide emerging arts professionals with professional experience in arts administration, preparing them for and connecting them with further opportunities within the arts
- Actively seek out communities and experiences that are underrepresented in arts administration
- Build nurturing relationships that share knowledge in omnidirectional ways between interns, staff and other SoEx community members
- All interns should be interested in working in a nonprofit arts environment, possess strong communication skills and have computer skills. Due to COVID-19, our staff is currently working both in the office and from home, and candidates should be prepared to work a combination of hours on-site at Southern Exposure and from home on their own computer (if this presents a barrier to your participation, we will work to arrange the temporary loan of an Apple laptop, albeit a somewhat outdated one.)
- Attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to self-direct and follow through with long-term projects
- Knowledge of contemporary artistic practices
- Working knowledge of Apple computers and Gmail. Experience with Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Docs, InDesign/Photoshop, Dropbox, Canva, Facebook, and Instagram is helpful.
Compensation and Expectations:
At this time, we can offer a $1,500 stipend per intern for the duration of their internship. We are happy to partner with schools and community organizations to provide further stipends or course credit. We are dedicated to providing professional development toward our interns’ goals. Interns are expected to work 8-12 hours per week, ideally across 2 - 3 days each week.
Social media support: design and write content for online platforms in alignment with SoEx’s brand styles, generate new campaign ideas, collect metrics data, collaborate on new strategies
Website upkeep: upload images, exhibition information, and artist information to our website and keep track of areas that require updating
Event and exhibition support: be available for in-person and virtual events to set up and for support during the events, participate in promotion of events and exhibitions, support in auction catalogue design
Please send a current résumé that reflects any relevant experiences and skills, along with two professional references (contact information only, no reference letters required) and a cover letter that explains what you will bring to the position and what you hope to gain as an intern to [email protected]. Please apply by Monday, January 3rd, 2022 for full consideration.