CURRENT OPPORTUNITIES AT SOUTHERN EXPOSURE:
Schedule: Variable – Approximately 5 hours/week, and up to 40 hours/week during installation periods
Status: On-call, contractor
Reporting Structure: Reports to Artistic Director
Applications due: October 1, 2022
Position Description: Southern Exposure’s Lead Preparator is the technical coordinator for projects and exhibitions. They provide technical assistance in support of all of Southern Exposure’s programs.
- Work closely with SoEx Artistic and Co-Director to plan and manage technical needs and schedules for all exhibitions and projects, communicating details regarding schedules, plans, needs, conflicts, changes, etc
- Oversee the installation and de-installation of exhibitions and projects and the operation of AV equipment for events and rentals
- Maintains safe artwork handling protocols
- Consults with staff, artists, curators, students, and rental clients regarding installation and technical needs of projects and schedules
- Hire, schedule and supervise preparators and contractors for carpentry, fabrication, AV operation, and installation/de-installation of projects
- Maintain inventory of equipment, manage equipment storage area, keep storage areas organized, clean, and stocked
- Preparation and maintenance of gallery space for project, including purchasing materials, wall painting, wall preparation, light construction, carpentry, lighting
- Responsible for ensuring that projects are installed as requested and on time
- Create instructions for turning on and off installations
- Meets weekly with Artistic and Co-Director to coordinate information
- Responds to emails and information requests from staff, artists, and curators
- Inventories equipment and supplies, orders materials as needed for projects
- Experience working as a preparator in a museum or gallery
- Good communication skills and experience working collaboratively
- Enthusiasm for Southern Exposure’s mission and for contemporary art
- Ability to work independently, take initiative and follow through
- Patience, flexibility
- Punctuality, reliability
- Basic proficiency in email, office and online tools including Google Suite desired
- Familiarity with AV equipment, ability to operate audio and video equipment required
- Carpentry and/or AV skills highly desirable
- Ability to collaborate, troubleshoot, and brainstorm solutions for artist projects under a time crunch
- Respect for diverse backgrounds and voices and a commitment to inclusion, accessibility, and equity
Performing this job requires the use of tools or controls, sitting, communicating, standing, climbing ladders, balancing, stooping or kneeling. While performing the duties of this job, the contractor regularly works on-site at the organization.
How to apply: Interested candidates should send an email to [email protected] with the subject line: Lead Preparator: your name. Please attach a cover letter and resume.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Southern Exposure is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and maintains a policy of non-discrimination with respect to employees and applicants for employment. We value a strong, diverse team. Black and Indigenous individuals, trans- and gender-nonconforming folks, queer people, People of Color, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Southern Exposure (SoEx) is an artist-centered nonprofit organization that is committed to supporting visual artists. Through our extensive and innovative programming, SoEx strives to experiment, collaborate and further educate while providing an extraordinary resource center and forum for Bay Area and national artists and youth in our Mission District space and off-site, in the public realm.