- Teaching Opportunity
Artist Facilitator for the Youth Advisory Board
SoEx is hiring for Artists in Education!
About the Artist Facilitator Opportunity:
The Artist Facilitator will work collaboratively with Southern Exposure’s Artists in Education Program Director, the Projects & Exhibitions Program Director, and a contemporary artist to facilitate 18 workshops for SoEx’s Youth Advisory Board. The workshop will respond to the contemporary artist’s theme of the environment and climate change along with methods for working collaboratively as a collective. The Artist Facilitator will work with approximately 10 teens this fall to produce a final project in January based on the environment and climate change. The Artist Facilitator will be responsible for facilitating workshops that will actively engage the Youth Advisory Board through a research process, field trips, discussion and hands-on art making.
About the Youth Advisory Board:
This dedicated group of teen artists works to promote and facilitate teen involvement at Southern Exposure. In weekly meetings, YAB members initiate and organize art events, exhibitions, and projects for Southern Exposure. Throughout the 2017-18 year YAB will be working as collaborators with a contemporary artist to realize a site-specific performance project.
- A practicing visual artist with experience in community-based art projects including but not limited to: installation, performance, site-specific work, social practices, photography, video, poetry and other forms of art.
- Teaching experience with teens ages 14-21.
- Experience developing arts-based curriculum with an emphasis on collaboration.
- Experience displaying work for public viewing.
- Good communication skills and experience working collaboratively.
- Spanish language proficiency a plus.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the AIE Program Director, Projects & Exhibitions Director and a contemporary artist to design and facilitate workshops for our Youth Advisory Board centered on the theme of the environment and climate change.
- Teach relevant artistic and collaboration skills to YAB students and serve as a mentor and facilitator for their individual and collective artistic practice.
- Gather materials and resources for projects.
- Bring in relevant guest speakers and coordinate field trips for youth.
- Help prepare for final show of artworks.
- Assist with the maintenance of the classroom environment, including set up and clean up.
The Artist Facilitator will be required to write workshop proposals including goals and objectives of the lessons, proposed outcomes, skills learned, activities, materials needed, themes covered, field trips, etc. Artists should begin the program with an emphasis on producing a final exhibition/show and develop workshops that build toward that goal.
Schedule & Time Commitment
The Artist Facilitator is responsible for teaching once a week for the entire semester. YAB meets weekly on Fridays from 4-6pm. Workshops run for eighteen weeks (September 22, 2017 – February 2, 2018). Additionally, the Artist Facilitator will work 2 weeks prior to and 2 weeks following workshops to plan, collaborate on curriculum, prepare for the final show and support the de-install of the final show.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should submit work samples and a single PDF attachment that includes the following as part of your application:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum Proposal: Please submit a 1-page proposal that outlines a possible workshop that addresses the environment and climate change. Include an outline of possible curriculum structure, thematic ideas explored and how the project is to be displayed at Southern Exposure. Please consider past projects at Southern Exposure (both through the Artists in Education and Exhibitions/ Projects programs) as examples
- Links to work samples:
- Up to 15 digital images hosted online
- No more than five minutes of video hosted online
- Projects and work developed with youth are encouraged
- Descriptive list explaining each sample
Please submit applications to [email protected]. The subject line of your email should be: Artist Facilitator_Youth Advisory Board, your name.
Position Posting Date: Thursday, August 10, 2017
Deadline to submit application: Friday, September 8, 2017
Projected Start date: Friday, September 22, 2017
Compensation: The Artist Facilitator will receive $35/hour. This is a contract position, and is not eligible for benefits.
Employment Equity Statement:
In accordance with our commitment to further cultural equity within the organization, SoEx engages in proactive employment practices to increase opportunities for individuals from communities historically underrepresented in arts administration.