- Open Call
Me and You and This Other Thing
Southern Exposure's 25th Annual Entry-Fee-Free Juried Exhibition
Northern California visual artists are invited to submit work for Me and You and This Other Thing, our 25th Annual Juried Exhibition. This year, the title of our juried show is an imperative! Submitted works must be made in collaboration by at least two people. Contributors can take any form (co-creator, performer, fabricator, etc) but must be acknowledged. Only one collaborator needs to be a Northern California resident. The exhibition will be juried by Mexico City-based artist and curator Francisco Cordero-Oceguera.
RULES & INFORMATION
Absolutely none! Never! Nope!
Who is eligible:
Open to artists living in Northern California, north of King City and south of Red Bluff (only one collaborator needs to be a Northern California resident). Artists and other instigators working in all media and formats are encouraged to apply. Work selected for this program will exemplify Southern Exposure’s mission and our commitment to supporting new, innovative, risk-taking contemporary visual art practices.
What work will be considered:
- Work must be collaborative. Collaborations can take any form.
- SoEx accepts only ONE submission per person for consideration per juried opportunity.
- Work must be new or have been completed between November 2015 and October 2016.
- Dimensions of gallery-based objects submitted may not exceed 5’ x 5’ x 5’ and 75 lbs.
How to submit your work:
- For gallery-based objects, actual objects must be submitted in person by you or another friendly human and must be ready to install. Assembly of artwork during the drop-off days is strictly prohibited. Submissions must be accompanied by a completed Entry Form. See additional instructions below.
- For video, performance, social practice, or web-based pieces to be presented on opening night or during the run of the exhibition, please submit a description of the proposed project (max. 400 words), including how you intend for it to be presented at SoEx, and up to two support images or five minutes of video. Submissions will be accepted through 3:00 PM on Saturday, October 29 via Submittable. If your video work is accepted for the exhibition, the work must be available for presentation as a .mp4 or .mov video file, and must be able to be shown on a video monitor.
Artwork drop-off dates:
Friday, October 28, 2016, 12:00 – 7:00 PM
Saturday, October 29, 2016, 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Video/performance/social practice submission deadline:
Saturday, October 29, 2016, 3:00 PM
Jurying and notification:
Artists whose work has been accepted to the exhibition will be notified by phone by 10:00 PM on Sunday, October 30, 2016.
ONLY accepted artists will be notified by these dates. Don't call us. We'll call you!
Non-selected work pick-up:
Monday, October 31, 2016, 11:00 AM – 7:00 PM
Work left after the pick-up day will be charged $5 per day storage fee.
Note: While every precaution will be made in the care of submitted work, Southern Exposure is unable to insure work during the jurying phase of Me and You and This Other Thing.
Opening Reception **NOTE DATE CHANGE!**
Friday, November 11, 2016
November 5 – 23, 2016
Gallery Hours: Tuesday – Saturday, 12:00 – 6:00 PM
ABOUT THE JUROR
Francisco Cordero-Oceguera is an artist and curator and the founding director of Lodos, an exhibition space in Mexico City. Recent projects include Lodos at PEEE, Museo Experimental el Eco, Mexico; up down strange charm beauty truth, co-curated with Brett Schultz, Yautepec Gallery, Mexico; Ver Lento, Centro de la Imagen, Mexico; System of a Down, Ellis King, Ireland; and Breathing Room, Interstate Projects, New York.