Fall 2021 Programs & Exhibitions Internship
Application Due: Monday, August 9, 2021
Length of Internship: Weeks of August 30 - December 17, 2021
Under the supervision of the Artistic and Co-Director, the Programs & Exhibitions Intern organizes spreadsheets; emails artists and curators; collects information from artists for events and projects; and assists with additional administrative tasks as needed. The Intern also attends and takes minutes at monthly curatorial meetings.
Ideally, the Programs & Exhibitions Intern is self-motivated, detail-oriented, and loves art and local artists. The intern must be available 1-2 weekdays per week along with occasional evening hours for meetings and events. A major component of this internship is the 2021 Monster Drawing Rally, so candidates must be available the afternoon and evening of Saturday, October 9, 2021, to be considered for this internship. In addition to receiving a modest stipend, there is ample opportunity to learn about the ins and outs of a contemporary arts organization and the many moving parts of hosting a rigorous fundraising event.
About Southern Exposure:
Southern Exposure (SoEx) is a 47-year-old artist-centered nonprofit organization committed to supporting visual artists. Through our extensive and innovative programming, SoEx strives to experiment, collaborate and further educate while providing an extraordinary resource center and forum for Bay Area and national artists and youth in our Mission District space and off-site, in the public realm.
The principles of Southern Exposure’s internship program are to:
- Provide emerging arts professionals with professional experience in arts administration, preparing them for and connecting them with further opportunities within the arts
- Actively seek out communities and experiences that are underrepresented in arts administration
- Build nurturing relationships that share knowledge in omnidirectional ways between interns, staff and other SoEx community members
All interns should be interested in working in a nonprofit arts environment, possess strong communication skills and have computer skills. Due to COVID-19, our staff is currently working both in the office and from home, and candidates should be prepared to work a combination of hours on-site at Southern Exposure and from home on their own computer (if this presents a barrier to your participation, we will work to arrange the temporary loan of a laptop.)
- Attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to self-direct and follow through with long-term projects
- Knowledge of contemporary artistic practices
- Working knowledge of Apple computers and Gmail. Experience with Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Docs, InDesign/Photoshop, Dropbox, Facebook, and Instagram is helpful.
Compensation and Expectations:
At this time, we can offer a $1,125 stipend per intern for the duration of their internship. We are happy to partner with schools and community organizations to provide further stipends or course credit. We are dedicated to providing professional development toward our interns’ goals. Interns are expected to work 8-12 hours per week, ideally across 2 - 3 days each week.
- Artist communication: Collecting W-9s, confirming artwork details, sending event information, etc.
- Administrative tasks:
- Organize, track, and share artist information in Google Sheets
- Take detailed meeting minutes and share with Curatorial Council members
- Create internal invoices for artist payments
- Organize archiving of exhibition and program documentation in Dropbox and Google Sheets
- Fundraising event support:
- Coordinate with artists for MDR as needed, working in collaboration with the Operations and Development Coordinator
- Start outreach to artists for Auction
- Social media support: Coordinate collection of and uploading photos and text to online platforms
Please send a current résumé that reflects any relevant experiences and skills, along with two professional references (contact information only, no reference letters required) and a cover letter that explains what you will bring to the position and what you hope to gain as an intern to [email protected]. Please apply by Monday, August 9th, 2021 for full consideration.