Community Arts & Development Internship
Southern Exposure is seeking an intern for fall 2020!
The Community Arts & Development Intern will help with a number of vital tasks for our Fall Fundraiser: Monster Drawing Rally (MDR) 2020. This event pulls together over 100 Bay Area artists in a live drawing race against the clock, producing unique art immediately available at affordable prices. This will be our first ever online MDR, and we are so excited to present this event to our community! The MDR Intern will be assisting with digital content management, database management, artist coordination, volunteer coordination, and donor fulfillment. Although this is an unpaid internship, there is a lot of opportunity to learn the ins and outs of grassroots fundraising and development, and learn about the many moving parts hosting a fundraising event.
You, ideally, are self-motivated, have experience with Photoshop, Google Drive, Sheets, and Docs, and have great communication skills! You love art and local artists. As a major component of this internship is the MDR event, candidates must be available the evening of Thursday, October 29, 2020, to be considered for this internship.
About Southern Exposure:
Southern Exposure (SoEx) is a 46-year-old artist-centered nonprofit organization committed to supporting visual artists. Through our extensive and innovative programming, SoEx strives to experiment, collaborate and further educate while providing an extraordinary resource center and forum for Bay Area and national artists and youth in our Mission District space and off-site, in the public realm.
The principles of Southern Exposure’s internship program are to:
- Provide interns with professional experience in arts administration and teaching
- Prepare interns for, and connect them with, further opportunities within the arts, especially paid positions and leadership roles
- Actively seek out communities and experiences that are underrepresented in arts administration
- Build relationships that share knowledge in omnidirectional ways between interns and staff as well as other SoEx community members
All interns should be interested in working in a nonprofit arts environment, possess strong communication skills and have computer skills. Due to COVID-19, our office is working from home, and candidates should be prepared to work from home on their own computer.
- Attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to self-direct and follow through with long-term projects
- Knowledge of contemporary artistic practices
- Working knowledge of Apple computers and Gmail. Experience with Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Docs, InDesign/Photoshop, Facebook, and Instagram is helpful.
Please note that this internship is unpaid. When possible, we partner with schools and community organizations to provide stipends or course credit. Interns work 10-15 hours per week across 1-3 days/week.
- Photo editing: Coordinate with staff to upload photos of Legacy and new drawings
- Proofreading: Coordinate and proofread Artist Bios and artwork descriptions
- Artist communication: Collecting W9s, confirming addresses, sending final event information, etc
- Webstore support: Coordinate collection of and uploading photos to online shop and gallery
- Post MDR Thank You’s + Data uploading
- Documenting 2020 unsold drawings and filing for next year
- Shipping and Fulfillment
- Coordinate MDR 2020 Inventory
- Coordinate with Operations and Development Coordinator to organize artist shipping information
- Coordinate with Development Coordinator to organize buyer shipping information
- Coordinate mail outs for pre-paid shipping envelopes
- Website Support
- Support Development Coordinator with website development and design
- Volunteer Coordination
- Create calls for volunteers
- Manage volunteer duties
- Database administrator for CIVI, a CRM
- Google Sheets
Please send a current résumé that reflects any relevant experiences and skills, along with two professional references (contact information only, no reference letters required) and a cover letter that explains what you will bring to the position and what you hope to gain as an intern to [email protected]. Please apply by 5:00PM on Monday, September 28th, 2020 for full consideration.